- CKD non-dialysis
- 3 pounds ground beef
- 4 large eggs
- 7 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons onion
- 2 cups bell peppers (red and green)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup vinegar
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 cups pineapple juice
- 40 ounces canned pineapple chunks
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Grate onion and dice bell peppers.
- Combine ground beef, eggs, 1 tablespoon cornstarch, onion, black pepper, nutmeg and garlic powder. Mix well.
- Form into 1” balls and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, until meatballs are cooked through.
- Drain juice from pineapple cans into a measuring cup. Add water to make 2 cups. Reserve pineapple chunks.
- Combine remaining 6 tablespoons cornstarch, reduced sodium soy sauce, vinegar, water, unpacked brown sugar, white sugar and pineapple juice. Heat until thickened, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- Place meatballs, sauce, pineapple chunks, green and red peppers in a covered warming dish or crock pot set on low setting until ready to serve.
- Reduced sodium soy sauce contains 500 to 600 mg sodium per tablespoon compared to 950 to 1050 mg sodium in regular soy sauce. Limit to the amount specified in the recipe.
- Make meatballs ahead and refrigerate. When ready to serve, heat ingredients together and transfer to a warming dish.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 11 g
Carbohydrates 16 g
Fat 10 g
Cholesterol 72 mg
Sodium 92 mg
Potassium 189 mg
Phosphorus 84 mg
Calcium 14 mg
Fiber 0.5 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1-1/2 meat
- 1 fat
- 1 fruit, low potassium
Submitted by: Recipe submitted DaVita dietitian Kathy, MS, RD, LDN, CSR, from Pennsylvania.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register