1/4 cup chorizo
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 pound 85% lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons hot chili powder
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons red or cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- Finely mince garlic.
- In a large bowl, mix all ingredients very thoroughly. Place in airtight container and refrigerate 12 to 24 hours.
- Divide into 1/4-cup portions or store whole recipe. Wrap in plastic wrap or butcher paper and freeze in thick plastic freezer bags for later use.
- When ready to serve, cook 1/4-cup portion per person in a non-stick or oiled skillet on stove top. Chop meat into fine crumbles with a spatula. Use in DaVita.com recipe for Chorizo and Egg Tortilla if desired.
- Cook entire recipe at once, if desired, and freeze leftovers for later use.
- Substitute ground turkey for beef if desired. You may need to add 1 to 2 tablespoons of oil.
- This is a quick and delicious way to increase protein intake at breakfast. Add 1 or 2 eggs or egg whites.
- Add Easy Chorizo to shrimp or chicken with rice for a spicy one dish meal.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 12 g
Carbohydrates 2 g
Fat 11 g
Cholesterol 38 mg
Sodium 97 mg
Potassium 252 mg
Phosphorus 114 mg
Calcium 27 mg
Fiber 1.3 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1-1/2 meat
- 1/2 vegetable, medium potassium
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Elaine from Arizona
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register