3" x 3" square
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 1 pound loaf cinnamon raisin bread
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1-1/2 medium apples
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 8 large eggs
- 1-1/4 cup half & half creamer
- 1-1/4 cup almond milk, unsweetened, original
- 1/4 cup pancake syrup
- Dice the bread and cream cheese into cubes. Peel and dice the apples. Melt the butter.
- Coat a 9" x 13" baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Arrange 1/2 of the cubed bread in the bottom of the dish. Sprinkle the cream cheese cubes evenly over the bread and top with the apples. Sprinkle cinnamon over the apples and top with remaining bread.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs with the half & half creamer, almond milk, melted butter and pancake syrup. Pour the mixture over the bread. Cover baking dish with plastic wrap and press down so that all the pieces are soaked. Refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight
- Preheat oven to 325° F.
- Bake the strata for 50 minutes, then let stand 10 minutes before serving. Cut evenly into squares for 12 servings.
- Top with pancake syrup, sugar-free syrup, jam or cinnamon/raspberry applesauce, if desired.
- Replace eggs with 2 cups low cholesterol egg product to reduce cholesterol to 37 mg per serving.
- Lower carbohydrate content by substituting sugar-free syrup if you have diabetes.
- Use your favorite milk substitute if you do not like almond milk. Some brands of half & half contain phosphate additives. Always check the ingredient list and avoid products with phosphate additives.
- Portions are generous—may be divided into smaller servings for a larger crowd.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 9 g
Carbohydrates 27 g
Fat 20 g
Cholesterol 170 mg
Sodium 280 mg
Potassium 224 mg
Phosphorus 150 mg
Calcium 116 mg
Fiber 1.8 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1 meat
- 1-1/2 starch
- 1/2 fruit
- 2 fat
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Kami from California.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register