one 3" x 3" square
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 8 ounces reduced-fat pork sausage
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 4 slices white bread, cubed or broken
- 5 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried onion flakes
- Preheat oven to 325 F°.
- Crumble sausage and cook in a medium skillet; set aside.
- Mix remaining ingredients, except bread, in a blender.
- Add cooked sausage to mixture.
- Place bread pieces into a greased 9" x 9" casserole dish. Pour sausage mixture over bread.
- Bake 55 minutes or until set.
- Cut into 9 portions and serve.
- Nancy uses Jimmy Dean® brand reduced-fat sausage.
- Try one of the DaVita.com homemade sausage recipes for a lower sodium option.
- Let casserole set for 10 minutes before cutting into portions.
- Many other breakfast casserole recipes contain cheese, which adds extra sodium, potassium and phosphorus.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 11 g
Carbohydrates 9 g
Fat 16 g
Cholesterol 149 mg
Sodium 356 mg
Potassium 201 mg
Phosphorus 159 mg
Calcium 97 mg
Fiber 0.4 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1-1/2 meat
- 1/2 starch
- 2 fat
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Nancy from Virginia
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register