- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 4 microwave-safe pint-sized jars with lids
- 8 ounces turkey sausage
- 4 tablespoons shredded natural cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup bell pepper
- 1/4 cup onion
- 1/4 cup broccoli
- 1/4 cup mushrooms
- 1 fresh jalapeno pepper (optional)
- 8 large eggs
- In a small skillet cook the turkey sausage until browned. Chop into crumbles while cooking.
- Prepare the jars by spraying the insides with cooking spray.
- Dice the bell pepper, onion, broccoli and mushrooms. In a small bowl combine the chopped vegetables. Slice the jalapeno pepper.
- Add 1/4 cup sausage, 1 tablespoon cheese, 1/4 cup diced vegetables mixture and 2 to 3 jalapeno pepper slices to each jar.
- Cover and store the jars for up to 4 days in the refrigerator.
- When ready to eat, beat 2 eggs, add to the jar and stir well. Microwave for 30 seconds and stir. Repeat until eggs are set. (It may take 1-1/2 to 2 minutes depending on your microwave.)
- Carefully remove the jar from the microwave and enjoy.
• The jars can be frozen. Transfer from the freezer to the refrigerator the night before you plan to add eggs and cook.
• Mix and match other lower potassium vegetables such as asparagus, green onion, kale or zucchini.
• Select a natural low-sodium cheese like cheddar or Swiss. If using a higher sodium cheese like parmesan or feta reduce the amount to 1/2 tablespoon
•Choose from pork, chicken or turkey sausage without phosphorus additives. Be aware some reduced-sodium breakfast meats are quite high in potassium due to potassium additives.
• For an additive-free, lower sodium sausage try Homemade Turkey Sausage or Homemade Pan Sausage from recipes on DaVita.com.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 20 g
Carbohydrates 3 g
Fat 18 g
Cholesterol 434 mg
Sodium 411 mg
Potassium 285 mg
Phosphorus 297 mg
Calcium 122 mg
Fiber 0.5 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 3 meat
- 1/2 vegetable. low potassium
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Robin from Virginia
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register