- CKD non-dialysis
- 1/2 medium apple
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking oatmeal
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Core and finely chop apple half.
- Combine oats, egg and almond milk in a large mug. Stir well with a fork. Add cinnamon and apple. Stir again until fully mixed.
- Cook in microwave on high for 2 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Cook an additional 30 to 60 seconds if needed.
- Stir in a little more milk or water if thinner cereal is desired.
- For additional flavor replace ground cinnamon with finely grated stick cinnamon.
- Cooking time may vary for different microwaves.
- Drizzle oatmeal with 2 teaspoons of honey if desired. Count as an additional 12 grams of carbohydrate and 1 carbohydrate choice if you follow a carbohydrate counting meal plan for diabetes.
- Substitute 1/4 cup 1% low fat milk and 1/4 cup water for almond milk if preferred. This changes the protein to 12 grams, phosphorus to 278 mg and potassium to 358 mg.
- Oatmeal is higher in potassium and phosphorus compared to refined grains, but can be included in most kidney diets. Discuss with your dietitian if you are unsure.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 11 g
Carbohydrates 33 g
Fat 8 g
Cholesterol 186 mg
Sodium 164 mg
Potassium 362 mg
Phosphorus 240 mg
Calcium 154 mg
Fiber 5.8 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1 meat
- 1 starch
- 1 milk substitute
- 1 fruit, low potassium
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Maryann from Virginia.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register