- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 1/2 cup green onions
- 1/2 cup sweet red pepper
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen Brussels sprouts
- 1-1/2 cups cooked whole wheat rotini pasta
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1-1/2 cups cooked chicken, cubed
- Chop the green onions and red peppers.
- Trim the ends off the Brussels sprouts and boil or steam until just tender.
- Cook pasta according to directions on package but omitting the salt.
- While pasta is cooking, drain Brussels sprouts and set aside.
- Heat butter and oil and sauté green onions in skillet.
- Add red peppers and Brussels sprouts, stirring until just golden on the edges.
- Add soy sauce and let vegetable mixture stand covered until pasta is done.
- Heat chicken in microwave if needed.
- Toss pasta, chicken and cooked vegetables in a bowl.
- Serve immediately while hot.
- Rotini is also known as corkscrew pasta. Three ounces dry (3/4 cup) yields 1-1/2 cups cooked. This recipe calls for whole wheat but you can substitute refined rotini if desired. Potassium and phosphorus will be slightly lower.
- You can bake boneless, skinless chicken breast or tenderloins in a 425°F oven for 18-25 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F. Pound the breasts to an even thickness for more even cooking.
- Adjust the amount of chicken for a lower or higher protein meal.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 20 g
Carbohydrates 19 g
Fat 11 g
Cholesterol 55 mg
Sodium 228 mg
Potassium 416 mg
Phosphorus 217 mg
Calcium 33 mg
Fiber 3.6 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 2 meat
- 1 starch
- 1 vegetable, medium potassium
Submitted by: Original recipe from www.justvegetablerecipes.com, modified and submitted by DaVita dietitian Jamie from New Mexico.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register