1 chicken breast with 1/2 cup of sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup onion
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless, chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 16 ounces canned whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Chop onion.
- Preheat oil in a large skillet. Add onion and sauté until clear.
- Add chicken and cook for 3–4 minutes on each side.
- In a medium-sized bowl combine ketchup, dry mustard, cranberry sauce, packed brown sugar and vinegar. Stir until mixed and pour into skillet.
- Cover and cook on medium heat for 15–20 minutes.
- Serve with white rice and green beans for a complete kidney friendly meal.
- Use Splenda® Brown Sugar Blend to reduce carbohydrate content if you have diabetes.
- Another way to reduce carbohydrate is to substitute 1-1/2 cups of frozen cranberries in place of whole-berry cranberry sauce and add low calorie sweetener to desired sweetness.
- For a lower sodium dish use no added salt ketchup without potassium chloride.
- Cut large chicken breast-halves in half for 6 pieces.
- Use chicken thighs or legs if you like dark-meat chicken.
- Adjust the chicken portion to match your meal plan if you are on a lower protein diet.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 31 g
Carbohydrates 42 g
Fat 6 g
Cholesterol 85 mg
Sodium 248 mg
Potassium 330 mg
Phosphorus 242 mg
Calcium 27 mg
Fiber 1.4 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 4 meat
- 1 fruit , low potassium
- 1-1/2 high calorie
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Jennifer S. from Maryland.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register