1 drumstick, 1 wing plus 1/2 cup rice and 2 tablespoons gravy
- CKD non-dialysis
- 3 cups cooked white rice
- 6 chicken wings
- 6 chicken drumsticks
- 1/2 cup onion
- 3/4 cup green bell pepper
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 dash red pepper
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup water
- Prepare rice according to package directions omitting salt.
- Slice onion and bell peppers; mince garlic.
- Rinse chicken parts in cold water. Pat dry with paper towels.
- Heat oil in skillet or pot; add chicken parts browning chicken on all sides.
- Add onion and green pepper.
- Sprinkle flour over vegetables and chicken parts, stirring to coat all pieces.
- Allow chicken and flour to brown for approximately 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, black pepper and red pepper.
- Stir in broth and water.
- Cover pot and allow to simmer for approximately 30 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked. (Gravy will thicken as it simmers).
- Serve over white rice.
- May substitute other chicken parts or turkey necks for the meat.
- Adjust portion if you are on a lower or higher protein diet.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 26 g
Carbohydrates 27 g
Fat 19 g
Cholesterol 128 mg
Sodium 139 mg
Potassium 320 mg
Phosphorus 227 mg
Calcium 31 mg
Fiber 0.8 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 3 meat
- 2 starch
- 1/2 vegetable, low potassium
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Merlene from Michigan.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register