- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 1 cup white rice, uncooked
- 2 cups almond milk, unsweetened
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Rinse rice with tap water, then drain.
- Add rice and 1 cup water to a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, cover with a lid and cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove lid and stir in almond milk and raisins. Cover again and boil for 10 minutes or until the rice is well cooked. (Rice will have a soupy consistency; not all the liquid will boil off.)
- When rice is done, remove from heat and stir in the sugar (or sugar substitute), cinnamon and vanilla. Mix well and serve warm.
- Refrigerate leftover portions.
- Look for unrefrigerated almond milk and select a brand that does not contain phosphate additives.
- Raisins are optional. Portion must be limited due to added potassium content.
- Recipe was revised to eliminate nondairy creamer. Sugar was reduced from 1/2 cup to 1/4 cup. Adjust the amount if you like a sweeter dessert.
- Carbohydrate choice is 2 when prepared with sugar substitute instead of sugar. Calories are decreased to 195 and carbohydrate to 27 grams per serving.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 3 g
Carbohydrates 37 g
Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 60 mg
Potassium 115 mg
Phosphorus 52 mg
Calcium 72 mg
Fiber 0.8 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1 starch
- 1/2 milk alternative
- 1 high calorie
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Melisa from Texas.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register