- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 1 cup powdered sugar (divided use)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (divided use)
- 1 cup all-purpose white flour
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice (divided use)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon lemon rind. grated
- To make crust mix together 1/4 cup confectioner's sugar, 1/8 teaspoon salt, flour and 1/2 cup butter.
- Pour into ungreased 8" square pan and bake at 350º F for 15 minutes.Remove from oven.
- To make filling mix together granulated sugar, baking powder, 1/8 teaspoon salt, beaten eggs, 2 tablespoons lemon juice and grated lemon rind.
- Pour over crust and spread evenly.
- Return to oven and bake 20 minutes longer at 350º F. Remove from oven and cool.
- To make icing mix together remaining 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 3/4 cup confectioner's sugar and 1 tablespoon softened butter.
- When crust and filling layers are completely cool, spread icing over the top.
- Refrigerate. Cut into 36 squares.
- Lemon squares freeze well. Place on a tray and freeze then store in a freezer bag or container.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 2 g
Carbohydrates 22 g
Fat 6 g
Cholesterol 39 mg
Sodium 45 mg
Potassium 22 mg
Phosphorus 32 mg
Calcium 16 mg
Fiber 0.2 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1/2 starch
- 1 fat
- 1 high calorie
Submitted by: Recipe from "Kidney Kooking" cookbook from the National Kidney Foundation of Georgia Submitted by DaVita dietitian Beverly from Georgia.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register