- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 1/4 cup onion
- 1 celery stalk
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 12 ounces white tuna, canned in water, unsalted
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar (optional)
- Finely chop the onion and celery. Place onion and olive oil in a small microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 2 minutes. Let cool for several minutes.
- Drain tuna well and place in a mixing bowl. Pat with a paper towel to remove excess water.
- Stir in the onion mixture, celery, mayonnaise, lemon juice and sugar. Mix until well blended.
- Refrigerate to chill before serving.
- Make a tuna sandwich, spread on celery stalks or add to a lettuce salad.
- Use low-fat mayonnaise to reduce fat to 13 grams per serving. Note sodium content will be higher.
- If you need more protein try tuna salad and low-salt crackers for a snack.
- See two variations for this recipe: Tarragon Apple Tuna Salad with Walnuts and Curried Tuna Salad with Grapes.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 20 g
Carbohydrates 2 g
Fat 27 g
Cholesterol 47 mg
Sodium 226 mg
Potassium 250 mg
Phosphorus 196 mg
Calcium 21 mg
Fiber 0.3 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Jessica from Michigan
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register