- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup onion
- 2 teaspoons Mrs. Dash® lemon pepper seasoning blend
- 1 teaspoon Kitchen Bouquet® seasoning and browning sauce
- 1 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/3 cup white rice, uncooked
- 3 cups frozen mixed vegetables (corn, green beans, peas and carrots)
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- Chop onion. In a large saucepan, brown ground beef with onion. Drain fat.
- Add seasoning and browning sauce, broth, water, rice and mixed vegetables.
- Bring to a boil on high heat. Reduce to medium-low heat, cover and cook 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in sour cream and serve.
Optional preparation method:
- Mix uncooked ground beef, chopped onion, Mrs. Dash and Kitchen Bouquet together in a bowl. Roll into walnut-size meat balls.
- In a large saucepan combine broth, water, rice and mixed vegetables. Bring to a boil on high heat.
- Drop meatballs into the boiling broth, reduce to medium-low heat and cook for 30 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through.
- Look for reduced-sodium broth containing 500 milligrams sodium or less per 1 cup serving. Avoid low-sodium broth that contains potassium chloride—it is very high in potassium.
- Optional vegetable mixture includes cauliflower, carrots and snow peas (reduces phosphorus to 190 milligrams per serving.)
Nutrients per serving
Protein 20 g
Carbohydrates 19 g
Fat 8 g
Cholesterol 52 mg
Sodium 170 mg
Potassium 448 mg
Phosphorus 210 mg
Calcium 43 mg
Fiber 4.3 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 2 meat
- 1 vegetable, medium potassium
- 1 starch
Submitted by: Recipe created exclusively for DaVita.com by DaVita dietitian Sara RD, CSR, CDE from California.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register