Chicken Pepper Bacon Wraps
- CKD non-dialysis
- 1 medium onion
- 12 strips bacon
- 12 fresh jalapenos peppers
- 12 fresh banana peppers
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 24 toothpicks, no color dye
Slice onion into quarters. Cut bacon into halves.
Spray grill rack with nonstick cooking spray made for high heat. Pre-heat outside grill on low or inside grill such as a George Foreman™ grill.
Prepare peppers by removing seeds from inside. Cut long ways on one side of the pepper to split it open.
Cut chicken into 24 pieces, sized to fit inside peppers.
Stuff one chicken piece into each pepper. It’s okay if some chicken remains outside the pepper.
Place one slice of onion on top of chicken to cover.
Take bacon and wrap around pepper/chicken/onion and secure with toothpicks. Use several toothpicks inserted in different directions to secure.
Place on grill.
Cook until bacon is crispy, approx 10 to 15 minutes. Flip and rotate often to prevent flames from burning bacon as grease drips.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 71
- Protein 10 g
- Carbohydrates 1 g
- Fat 3 g
- Cholesterol 26 mg
- Sodium 96 mg
- Potassium 147 mg
- Phosphorus 84 mg
- Calcium 9 mg
- Fiber 0.8 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1 meat
- 1/2 vegetable, medium potassium
- Use fresh bacon and chicken to reduce preservatives and additives. If unable to find fresh bacon, soak raw bacon in cold water 5 minutes to remove some of the sodium and other additives.
- Fresh bacon is also known as pork belly. Recipes are available for making homemade bacon using fresh pork.
- Place wraps on top rack if grill flares up and wraps start to burn.
- Jalapeno peppers are lower in potassium that banana peppers (30 mg vs. 80 mg).