Flour Tortilla Chips
- CKD non-dialysis
- 6 flour tortillas, 6" size
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- Cut each tortilla into 8 wedge-shaped pieces.
- Heat oil in heavy skillet using enough to cover 1/4” of the skillet.
- When oil is hot add tortilla pieces and toss until golden brown and crisp.
- Remove chips and drain on paper towels.
- Store chips in airtight container until ready to eat.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 176
- Protein 2
- Carbohydrates 16
- Fat 11
- Cholesterol 0
- Sodium 60
- Potassium 22
- Phosphorus 23
- Calcium 3
- Fiber 0.5
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- Check to see if oil is hot enough by placing one piece of flour tortilla in skillet. If oil forms small bubbles around the chip, it is hot enough.
- For a sweet twist, sprinkle a mixture of sugar or sweetener and cinnamon over hot chips immediately after removing from the skillet.