- CKD non-dialysis
- 3 pounds ground beef
- 4 large eggs
- 7 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons onion
- 2 cups bell peppers (red and green)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup vinegar
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 cups pineapple juice
- 40 ounces canned pineapple chunks
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Grate onion and dice bell peppers.
- Combine ground beef, eggs, 1 tablespoon cornstarch, onion, black pepper, nutmeg and garlic powder. Mix well.
- Form into 1” balls and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, until meatballs are cooked through.
- Drain juice from pineapple cans into a measuring cup. Add water to make 2 cups. Reserve pineapple chunks.
- Combine remaining 6 tablespoons cornstarch, reduced sodium soy sauce, vinegar, water, unpacked brown sugar, white sugar and pineapple juice. Heat until thickened, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- Place meatballs, sauce, pineapple chunks, green and red peppers in a covered warming dish or crock pot set on low setting until ready to serve.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 200
- Protein 11 g
- Carbohydrates 16 g
- Fat 10 g
- Cholesterol 72 mg
- Sodium 92 mg
- Potassium 189 mg
- Phosphorus 84 mg
- Calcium 14 mg
- Fiber 0.5 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1-1/2 meat
- 1 fat
- 1 fruit, low potassium
- Reduced sodium soy sauce contains 500 to 600 mg sodium per tablespoon compared to 950 to 1050 mg sodium in regular soy sauce. Limit to the amount specified in the recipe.
- Make meatballs ahead and refrigerate. When ready to serve, heat ingredients together and transfer to a warming dish.