Pineapple-Sweet Onion Salsa with Tortilla Chips
- CKD non-dialysis
2 tablespoons of salsa, 1 tortilla (cut into 8 pieces)
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/2 small jalapeno pepper
- 1 medium sweet onion
- 2 firm ripe medium tomatoes
- 12 ounces canned crushed pineapple, packed in juice
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 10 flour tortillas, 6" size
- 4 tablespoons trans-fat free margarine
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Remove seeds from jalapeno pepper; coarsely chop cilantro and onion.
- In a food processor, combine cilantro, jalapeno and onion. Pulse until blended, but not pureed.
- Cut tomatoe into quarters and add to mixture. Pulse until tomatoes are in small pieces.
- Add drained pineapple and pulse until mixture is thickened, but not pureed.
- Add lemon zest. Mix until blended.
- Brush flour tortillas with melted margarine.
- Cut each tortilla into 8 pie-shaped pieces. Place on a lightly sprayed baking sheet.
- Bake 10-12 minutes until tortillas are firm. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Serve baked tortilla pieces as dipping scoops for salsa.