- CKD non-dialysis
- 1/4 cup onion
- 1 teaspoons ginger root
- 2 tablespoon cilantro
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas
- 3 tablespoons canola oil plus oil for deep frying
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1 pound ground beef
- 24 spring roll pastries (1 packet)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose white flour
- 2 teaspoons water
- Chop onion; finely chop ginger root and cilantro. Set green peas out to thaw.
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a large skillet, over medium heat. Add onion, ginger root, coriander, pepper and Garam Masala.
- Add the ground beef and cook until it is no longer pink. Drain fat.
- Add green peas and cook until the mixture is dry. Add cilantro and stir.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of flour with enough water to make a thin paste.
- Roll out pastry on a floured board. Put 2 tablespoons of the beef mixture in the center of the pastry and fold over. Seal edges with a paste of flour and water.
- Heat oil for deep frying and fry pastries until golden brown.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 152
- Protein 6 g
- Carbohydrates 14 g
- Fat 8 g
- Cholesterol 15 mg
- Sodium 83 mg
- Potassium 88 mg
- Phosphorus 56 mg
- Calcium 13 mg
- Fiber 0.5 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1/2 meat
- 1 starch
- 1/2 fat
- Egg roll wrappers or filo dough can be used instead of spring roll pastry if desired.
- For a lower fat version you can bake the Samosa on a greased baking sheet instead of frying.
- Instead of beef try ground turkey or pork for variety.