Sweet ‘n’ Sour Meatballs
- CKD non-dialysis
12 (48 meatballs)
- 1 pound ground turkey, 7% fat
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup unseasoned bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons onion
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 6 ounces grape jelly
- 1/4 cup Heinz® bottled chili sauce
- Combine ground turkey, egg, bread crumbs, finely chopped onion, garlic powder and pepper until well blended.
- Shape into 3/4-inch meatballs; makes approximately 48 balls.
- In a large skillet, heat oil and cook meatballs over medium heat. Turn several times to brown evenly. Continue cooking until meatballs are cooked all the way through.
- Combine jelly and chili sauce in a microwave safe bowl and heat in microwave for 1-2 minutes until jelly is liquefied. Stir well and pour over meatballs in a chafing dish or slow cooker set on low heat.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 127
- Protein 9 g
- Carbohydrates 14 g
- Fat 4 g
- Cholesterol 41 mg
- Sodium 129 mg
- Potassium 148 mg
- Phosphorus 89 mg
- Calcium 15 mg
- Fiber 0.2 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- This recipe works best with ground turkey containing 7% fat. Meatballs made with ground turkey breast meat are not as moist.
- Ground beef or pork may be substituted for ground turkey.