All American Meatloaf
- CKD non-dialysis
1/6 slice of loaf
20 squares saltine-type crackers, unsalted tops
2 tablespoons onion
1 pound lean ground beef (10% fat)
1 large egg
2 tablespoons 1% low-fat milk
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/3 cup catsup
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon water
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Place crackers in a large zip-lock type pastic bag and crush with a rolling pin. Finely chop onion.
- Coat a loaf pan lightly with nonstick cooking spray.
- In large bowl, combine ground beef, egg, crushed crackers, onion, milk and black pepper. Mix well.
- Form into a loaf and place in loaf pan. Bake for 40 minutes.
- To make topping sauce, mix catsup, brown sugar, vinegar and water in a small bowl.
- Remove cooked meatloaf from oven and cover with sauce.
- Return pan to oven and bake for 10 additional minutes or until internal temperature reaches 160° F.
- Slice into 6 portions and serve.