Asian Lettuce Wraps Lower Protein
- CKD non-dialysis
2 lettuce wraps
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1-1/2 medium cucumber
- 1-1/2 medium red bell pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon sherry cooking wine
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoon red chili sauce
- 2 teaspoon packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- 1-1/2 cup cooked white rice
- 12 iceberg lettuce leaves
- Mince garlic clove. Chop cucumber and bell pepper.
- Mix the ground meat until well combined with garlic, sherry, soy sauce, red chili sauce, brown sugar and ginger in a medium bowl.
- Spray a large nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray and set over medium heat.
- Add the beef mixture and cook, breaking it apart with a wooden spoon, until cooked through (about three minutes).
- Stir in the sesame oil and keep warm.
- Heat the rice.
- Combine cucumber and red bell pepper in a bowl.
- Fill each lettuce leaf with 2-1/2 tablespoons ground beef, 1/4 cup cucumber/red pepper mixture and 2 tablespoons white rice. Wrap and enjoy!
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 224
- Protein 18 g
- Carbohydrates 15 g
- Fat 10 g
- Cholesterol 51 mg
- Sodium 195 mg
- Potassium 460 mg
- Phosphorus 178 mg
- Calcium 36 mg
- Fiber 1.0 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 2 meat
- 1/2 starch
- 1 vegetable, medium potassium
- Look for Asian-style chili sauce. Compare to find the lowest sodium brand.
- Ground turkey can be substituted for ground beef.
- Dry vermouth can be substituted for sherry cooking wine.
- Serve with green tea.