Authentic Steak Tacos
- CKD non-dialysis
1 tacos with 1-1/2 ounces steak
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1/4 cup onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 pound skirt or flank steak (falda)
- 3 limes
- 2 teaspoons Mrs. Dash® lemon pepper herb seasoning blend
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup queso fresco Mexican cheese
- 8 flour tortillas, 6" size
- Finely chop cilantro; dice onion and garlic.
- Marinate steak in shallow dish with juice of 2 limes, lemon pepper and garlic powder, from 30 minutes to overnight.
- Make salsa by mixing cilantro, onion, garlic and juice of 1 lime. Cover and refrigerate.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat.
- Slice steak thinly and cook over high heat until well done, approximately 3 minutes per side.
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Place equal amounts of cooked steak, about 1-1/2 ounces, in each flour tortilla.
- Top with one tablespoon crumbled queso fresco on each taco.
- Wrap each taco in aluminum foil and bake 5–8 minutes or until tortillas are warm.
- Remove from oven and enjoy!
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 286
- Protein 19 g
- Carbohydrates 20 g
- Fat 14 g
- Cholesterol 42 mg
- Sodium 208 mg
- Potassium 274 mg
- Phosphorus 220 mg
- Calcium 155 mg
- Fiber 0.7 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 2 meat
- 1 starch
- 1/2 vegetable, medium potassium
- 1 fat
- Find queso fresco at a Mexican grocery store or substitute1/4 cup Monterrey Jack cheese. Add 1/2 tablespoon per taco.
- Compare brands and buy the lowest sodium tortillas.
- Top each taco with 1 tablespoon salsa if desired. Choose lowest sodium products.