Beef Chipotle Burritos
- CKD non-dialysis
1 burrito with 3 ounces meat
- 1/2 cup onion
- 1/2 large red bell pepper
- 1/2 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 cup iceberg lettuce
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless beef round steak, cut 3/4" thick
- 1 cup canned, diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 cup rice, uncooked
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 6 burrito size flour tortillas
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 6 tablespoons sour cream
- Chop onion, bell pepper and chipotle pepper. Mince garlic and shred lettuce.
- Trim fat from meat. Cut into 6 pieces.
- In a 4-quart Crock Pot®, place meat, tomatoes (undrained), onion, bell pepper, chipotle pepper, spices and garlic.
- Cover and cook on low setting for 8–10 hours or on high for 4–5 hours.
- Add rice to water and cook according to package directions.
- Remove meat from cooker and shred, using 2 forks. Place in a large bowl and add sauce to desired consistency.
- Warm tortillas and spoon meat onto each one. Add 4 teaspoons cheese, 1 tablespoon sour cream, shredded lettuce and 1/2 cup cooked rice. Roll up and enjoy.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 435
- Protein 37 g
- Carbohydrates 36 g
- Fat 18 g
- Cholesterol 93 mg
- Sodium 482 mg
- Potassium 582 mg
- Phosphorus 320 mg
- Calcium 110 mg
- Fiber 2.5 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 4 meat
- 2 starch
- 1 vegetable, medium potassium
- If desired, replace canned tomatoes with 1 large fresh tomato, peeled and diced. Replace chipotle pepper with a fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced.
- Adjust spices/peppers as desired.
- For a lower calorie and carbohydrate meal serve over rice and omit tortillas.
- For added kick, chop cilantro and stir into cooked rice. Add a splash of lime juice.
- For a lower protein diet adjust the portion to match your meal plan.