Braised Beef Brisket
- CKD non-dialysis
- 1/2 medium onion
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 2-1/2 pounds beef brisket (3-1/2 pounds untrimmed)
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Dice onion, celery,carrot and parsley.
- Trim fat from beef brisket and sprinkle with black pepper.
- Using a heavy pot or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat and brown meat 5 minutes on each side.
- Remove meat and add onion, celery and carrots. Cook and stir 4 minutes to deglaze the pot.
- Add crumbled bay leaves and parsley to vegetable mixture, and place meat on top of vegetables.
- Pour broth, water and balsamic vinegar over meat to cover and heat until liquid boils.
- Cover pot and cook in the oven for 1-1/2 hours. Turn meat over and cook an additional 1-1/2 hours until meat is tender enough to cut with a fork.
- Remove meat from pot. Add one cup water to pan juices and stir. Strain liquid from solids. Discard vegetables and reserve broth for gravy (see recipe in "Sauces & Seasonings" section).
- Slice brisket, top with gravy and serve.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 230
- Protein 29 g
- Carbohydrates 4 g
- Fat 11 g
- Cholesterol 84 mg
- Sodium 178 mg
- Potassium 346 mg
- Phosphorus 193 mg
- Calcium 30 mg
- Fiber 0.8 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 4 meat
- 1 vegetable low potassium
- Save money--brisket costs less than most other beef cuts. It is a muscular, less tender beef cut, best when cooked slowly in liquid to tenderize the meat.
- Use beef brisket for roast beef sandwiches, tacos or burritos, potpie or beef stew.
- This recipe can be cooked in a slow cooker on low heat 8 to 10 hours.
- Look for reduced-sodium broth containing 500 milligrams sodium or less per 1 cup serving. Avoid low sodium broth that contains potassium chloride—it’s very high in potassium. Recommended brands include Health Valley® No Salt Added Fat Free Beef Flavored Broth www.HealthValley.com (800-423-4846), Kitchen Basics® Natural Beef Flavor Stock www.kitchenbasics.net, and Swanson® Lower Sodium Beef Broth www.swansonbroth.com.