Curry Sauce with Chicken
- CKD non-dialysis
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon ginger root
- 1/3 cup carrots
- 1/3 cup celery
- 1/3 cup onion
- 1 small apple
- 8 ounces mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose white flour
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 32 ounces low-sodium chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless chicken
- Mince garlic and ginger. Finely chop carrots, celery, and onion. Slice mushrooms. Chop apple.
- Combine flour, garlic, ginger, curry powder and vegetable oil in a non-stick, deep skillet (at least 4 quarts) over a medium heat.
- Stir until curry becomes paste-like.
- Slowly add broth, and stir until sauce is smooth.
- Add vegetables, apple and white pepper.
- Simmer, stirring constantly, for 15 minutes, or until well blended.
- Bring sauce to a boil and add chicken.
- Simmer curry for 1-1/2 hours over a low heat, stirring regularly and serve.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 281
- Protein 33 g
- Carbohydrates 8 g
- Fat 13 g
- Cholesterol 70 mg
- Sodium 128 mg
- Potassium 517 mg
- Phosphorus 267 mg
- Calcium 35 mg
- Fiber 2.0 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 4 meat
- 1/2 vegetable, medium potassium
- Save time by using Trader Joe’s® Mirepoix mix, a pre-chopped, pre-washed container of carrots, celery and onion.
- Substitute beef or seafood for chicken for variety. If using raw beef, brown it before adding to curry in step 6.
- For CKD non-dialysis on a lower protein diet, decrease portion to 3/4 cup.
- Serve over rice for a complete meal.