Easy Baby Back Ribs
- CKD non-dialysis
- 1 teaspoon Mrs. Dash® Garlic-Herb Seasoning Blend
- 1-1/2 pounds rack baby back ribs
- 3 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup barbeque sauce
- Sprinkle ribs evenly (top and bottom) with Mrs. Dash seasoning.
- Coat a top part of broiler pan with cooking spray; place ribs on broiler pan.
- Pour water and vinegar into bottom of broiler pan. Put on top part of pan with ribs.
- Place aluminum foil securely over ribs, tucking in around edges. (May need 2 pieces of foil to adequately cover.) This allows the ribs to steam.
- Bake at 300° F for 3-1/2 to 4 hours— don’t peek, it lets out steam.
- Remove foil and brush on barbecue sauce. Cook in oven an additional 10 minutes.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 444
- Protein 27 g
- Carbohydrates 6 g
- Fat 34 g
- Cholesterol 134 mg
- Sodium 379 mg
- Potassium 431 mg
- Phosphorus 228 mg
- Calcium 56 mg
- Fiber 0.1 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 4 meat
- 3-1/2 fat
- 1/2 high calorie
- The yield on 1-3/4 pound rack of ribs is approximately 12 ounces of meat.
- If ribs are not falling apart, try this alternative to Step #6. Remove from broiler pan and place over medium coals; brush on barbecue sauce. Cook 10 minutes, turning once after 5 minutes.
- For pork sandwiches, skip Step #6, pull meat from bones, place in a bowl and stir in the barbecue sauce. Serve on a bun with 1/4-cup coleslaw.
- For a lower protein diet adjust portion size to match your meal plan.