- CKD non-dialysis
1/3 cup meat
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 pound 90% lean ground beef or ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons hot chili powder
- 2 teaspoons red or cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- Finely mince garlic.
- In a large bowl, mix all ingredients very thoroughly. Place in airtight container and refrigerate 12 to 24 hours.
- Divide into 1/3-cup portions. Wrap in plastic wrap or butcher paper and freeze in thick plastic freezer bags for later use.
- Cook 1/3-cup portion per person in a skillet on stove top, chopping meat into fine crumbles with a spatula. See DaVita.com recipe for Chorizo and Egg Tortilla.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 72
- Protein 8 g
- Carbohydrates 1 g
- Fat 4 g
- Cholesterol 25 mg
- Sodium 46 mg
- Potassium 174 mg
- Phosphorus 79 mg
- Calcium 14 mg
- Fiber 0.8 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1 meat
- 1/2 vegetable, low potassium
- Cook entire recipe at once, if desired, and freeze for later use.
- This is a quick and delicious way to increase protein intake at breakfast. Add 1 or 2 eggs or egg whites.
- Add Easy Chorizo to shrimp or chicken with rice for a spicy one dish meal.