Easy Shepherd’s Pie Lower Protein
- CKD non-dialysis
1/6 of pie
- 2 large potatoes
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup onion
- 3/4 cup carrots
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/3 cup tomato sauce, no salt added
- 3/4 cup frozen green peas
- 1 cup nondairy creamer
- 1 package brown gravy mix
- Peel potatoes and cut into 1/2 inch pieces. Boil in a large pot of water for 5 minutes. Drain water, replace and boil again until potatoes are tender; drain.
- Chop onion and carrots. Mince garlic.
- While potatoes are cooking, melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large frying pan. Over medium heat, sauté onions and garlic until tender (10 minutes).
- Add ground beef and sauté until no longer pink.
- Add pepper, Worcestershire sauce, tomato sauce and vegetables. Simmer on low heat, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Mash potatoes in a bowl with 2 tablespoons of butter. Mix in nondairy creamer to give potatoes a creamy consistency. Add pepper to taste.
- Spread beef evenly in baking dish. Cover evenly with mashed potatoes. Use a fork to make a design.
- Bake for 30 minutes until bubbly. To brown top, broil for 2 minutes if desired.
- Prepare gravy mix according to package instructions. Serve 2 tablespoons of gravy over each portion.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 404
- Protein 16 g
- Carbohydrates 22 g
- Fat 28 g
- Cholesterol 78 mg
- Sodium 268 mg
- Potassium 545 mg
- Phosphorus 178 mg
- Calcium 34 mg
- Fiber 3.1 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 2 meat
- 1 starch
- 1-1/2 vegetable, medium potassium
- 3 fat
Double boiling potatoes in a large pot of water reduces potassium content. Peel and cut potatoes into small pieces, cover with water and boil 5 minutes. Replace with fresh water and cook to desired consistency. Discard cooking water.
- Freeze extra portions for a quick meal later.
This lower protein version of Easy Sheperd's Pie has a reduced amount of ground beef compared to the original recipe on DaVita.com. The nutrients have been adjusted to reflect this change.