Eggplant with Meatballs (Borani Bademjan)
- CKD non-dialysis
5 meatballs and 1 cup eggplant
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper
- 2 medium eggplants
- 1/2 cup onion
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt-free lemon pepper
- 1 teaspoon Mrs. Dash® seasoning blend
- 1 cup stewed tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- Peel and crush garlic clove. Chop green pepper and finely dice onion. Peel eggplant, slice lengthwise and cut into pieces.
- In a nonstick skillet, heat oil and sauté crushed garlic and green pepper. Remove and set aside.
- In the same oil, sauté eggplant on both sides until browned. Remove and set aside.
- In a bowl, mix ground beef with onion and spices. Make 30 small meatballs.
- Brown meatballs (without using oil) at low temperature in the nonstick skillet.
- Add sautéed eggplant, garlic, bell pepper, crushed stewed tomatoes and water to meatballs. Let simmer on low heat for 30 minutes.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 265
- Protein 17 g
- Carbohydrates 12 g
- Fat 18 g
- Cholesterol 47 mg
- Sodium 153 mg
- Potassium 598 mg
- Phosphorus 193 mg
- Calcium 45 mg
- Fiber 4.6 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 2 meat
- 2 vegetable, medium potassium
- 2 fat
- 2 medium eggplants yield 8 cups.
- Substitute ground turkey for beef if desired.
- Serve this meal with pita, lavash or tortilla bread and a small bowl of iceberg lettuce salad with olive oil and lemon juice dressing.