- CKD non-dialysis
1 cup goulash + 1/2 cup noodles
- 3 medium sweet onions
- 1 cup Roma tomatoes
- 3 green bell peppers
- 2 pounds lean beef chuck
- 1 slice bacon
- 2 tablespoons Hungarian paprika
- 1 cup water
- 8 ounces egg noodles, uncooked
- Chop onions into medium pieces. Seed and chop tomato. Slice bell peppers into 1/4" strips.
- Cut beef into approximately 1-inch cubes. Brown the beef in a large skillet sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. When browned on the outside, remove from the pan and set aside.
- With kitchen scissors, cut the bacon in half lengthwise, then into 12 small snips for 24 pieces.
- Cook bacon in skillet for approximately 3 minutes over medium heat. Add chopped onions and 1/4 cup water. Cook another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add remaining water, beef, peppers and tomato. Simmer over lowest heat for 1-1/2 hours or until tender.
- Serve goulash over 1/2 cup noodles
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 400
- Protein 33 g
- Carbohydrates 24 g
- Fat 19 g
- Cholesterol 115 mg
- Sodium 104 mg
- Potassium 509 mg
- Phosphorus 318 mg
- Calcium 34 mg
- Fiber 3.0 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 3 meat
- 1 starch
- 2 vegetables, low and medium potassium
- Like chicken soup, there are many variations on goulash. Be assured, it is not a beef stew made with carrots and thickened with flour or corn starch!
- If you are not on a potassium restricted diet, add a 16-ounce can of crushed tomatoes instead of 1 cup raw tomatoes.
- You can reduce the portion to 1/2 cup goulash with 1/2 cup noodles if you are on a lower protein.