Ground Sirloin Pasties
- CKD non-dialysis
- 1/4 cup carrot
- 1/4 cup onion
- 1 pound ground sirloin
- 1/4 cup frozen corn
- 1/4 cup frozen green peas
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 15-ounce package (2 crusts) rolled, refrigerated, unbaked pie crust
- 1 egg whitet
- 8 teaspoons ketchup
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Let pie crust stand at room temperature according to package directions.
- Dice carrot and chop onion.
- Brown ground sirloin in a large skillet over medium heat. Drain and set aside.
- Place carrot in a microwave dish. Add 1 tablespoon water; cover and cook on high for 2 minutes. Add frozen corn, and peas; microwave for 2 minutes. Drain.
- To make filling, combine meat, vegetables, onion, Worcestershire sauce, black pepper and thyme in a bowl.
- On a lightly floured surface, unroll pie crusts. Cut each pie crust into four pieces.
- Spoon 1/4 cup of the filling onto half of each piece of piecrust. Lightly moisten pie crust edges with a small amount of milk or egg white.
- Fold other half of pie crust over filling. Seal edges by crimping with tines of fork. Cut slits in the top of the pastries. Brush top with egg white. Place on a large, ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Cool slightly on wire racks.
- Serve each pastie with 1 teaspoon ketchup.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 354
- Protein 11 g
- Carbohydrates 28 g
- Fat 22 g
- Cholesterol 40 mg
- Sodium 382 mg
- Potassium 214 mg
- Phosphorus 72 mg
- Calcium 12 mg
- Fiber 0.7 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1-1/2 meat
- 1-1/2 starch
- 1/2 vegetable, low potassium
- 2-1/2 fat
- Wrap and freeze extra pasties for a quick meal later. Reheat in the oven or microwave.
- For variety substitute ground turkey or chicken for beef.