Italian Beef with Peppers and Onions
- CKD non-dialysis
3 ounces meat with 1/4 cup vegetables
- 3-pound lean beef roast, fat trimmed
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 large green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup pepperoncini juice
- Place the beef roast, oregano, pepper, garlic powder and red pepper in a Crock-Pot®. Cook on high for 4 to 5 hours until tender.
- Remove beef from Crock-Pot and let cool.
- Shred beef and remove fat.
- Place the shredded beef back into the Crock-Pot. Add the sliced peppers, onion and pepperoncini juice.
- Cook on high for 45 to 60 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 212
- Protein 25 g
- Carbohydrates 3 g
- Fat 11 g
- Cholesterol 84 mg
- Sodium 121 mg
- Potassium 280 mg
- Phosphorus 196 mg
- Calcium 21 mg
- Fiber 0.6 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 3 meat
- 1/2 vegetable, low potassium
- Serve Italian beef on a hamburger bun or roll.
- Pepperoncini juice is high in sodium and replaces other sodium sources in this recipe. Limit portion and avoid adding salt to keep total sodium intake low.
- For a lower-protein diet, reduce meat portion according to your diet plan or consult with your dietitian.