Roast Pork with Apples
- CKD non-dialysis
3-ounces pork and 1/2-cup apple mixture
- nonstick cooking spray
- 3-pound boneless pork loin roast, trimmed
- 2 cups onion, finely chopped
- 1 slice maple bacon, chopped
- 5 cups peeled tart apple, thinly sliced (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 3 cups green cabbage, thinly sliced
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and chopped in large chunks
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add pork and cook 15 minutes, browning on all sides. Remove pork from the pan. Add onion and bacon to pan; sauté 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Return pork to pan. Add apples, cabbage, carrots and remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer. Place pan in oven.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375° F for 45 minutes. Turn pork over and continue cooking for 30 minutes longer or until meat thermometer registers 155° F.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 244
- Protein 30 g
- Carbohydrates 13 g
- Fat 8 g
- Cholesterol 68 mg
- Sodium 99 mg
- Potassium 538 mg
- Phosphorus 185 mg
- Calcium 48 mg
- Fiber 3.1 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 3 meat
- 1 fruit, low potassium
- 1 vegetable, medium potassium
- Divide leftover pork into individual portions and freeze. Reheat for a quick meal or sandwich later.
- If you are on a lower protein diet adjust portion size to match your meal plan or ask your dietitian for guidance.