Southwestern Style Stuffed Bell Peppers
- CKD non-dialysis
1 stuffed bell pepper
- 4 red bell peppers
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano (crush in palm of hand)
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 10 ouncesned can Rotel® Original Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut tops off each red pepper. Remove seeds and stems.
- Parboil peppers for about 4 minutes.
- In a large skillet heat canola oil and sauté onions until translucent.
- Add ground beef and stir meat around to separate.
- Add ground garlic powder, cumin and dried oregano to meat mixture.
- Add corn and canned tomatoes with chilies. Mix into meat mixture.
- Stand bell peppers in a 2-quart baking pan. Fill with meat mixture, adding any left over to pan.
- Cover and bake for 40 minutes.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 247
- Protein 25 g
- Carbohydrates 14 g
- Fat 13 g
- Cholesterol 73 mg
- Sodium 352 mg
- Potassium 682 mg
- Phosphorus 235 mg
- Calcium 42 mg
- Fiber 3.1 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 3 meat
- 2 vegetable, medium potassium