Spicy Basil Beef Stir-Fry
- CKD non-dialysis
1 cup over 1/2 cup rice
- 1-1/2 pounds beef, flank or sirloin steak
- 1/2 cup basil leaves, fresh
- 1-1/2 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1-1/2 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup onion, diced into 1/2" pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1-1/2 cup low-sodium beef broth
- 1/4 cup lime juice, fresh
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced into 1/4" pieces
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 cups cooked rice
- Slice beef into bite-size pieces.
- Wash and dry the basil leaves and chop coarsely.
- If time permits, mix the beef, basil and 1/2 tablespoon peanut oil in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or longer. Otherwise, mix together beef and basil.
- Preheat a wok or large skillet over medium heat for 3 minutes. Add the remaining peanut oil and swirl it around the pan.
- Add the garlic and onion, stirring a few times. Cook until the onion is soft, about 5 minutes.
- Turn the heat up to high and add the beef-basil mixture. Stir quickly and add the red pepper flakes. Cook just until meat loses its redness, about 3 to 5 minutes depending on the size of the beef pieces.
- Stir soy sauce into cornstarch, beef broth and lime juice. Add to beef and cook until bubbling. Turn off heat, stir in raw red pepper and serve immediately, over rice.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 352
- Protein 25 g
- Carbohydrates 27 g
- Fat 16 g
- Cholesterol 54 mg
- Sodium 172 mg
- Potassium 390 mg
- Phosphorus 258 mg
- Calcium 32 mg
- Fiber 0.9 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 3 meat
- 1-1/2 starch
- 1 vegetable, low potassium
- Try adding orange zest for extra flavor.
- Change portion to 1/2 cup for a lower protein diet and increase the amount of rice for extra calories if needed.