Stuffed Green Peppers
- CKD non-dialysis
1 pepper half
3 green bell peppers
1 pound ground beef
2 teaspoons unsalted margarine (divided use)
1/4 cup onion, chopped
3 tablespoons thick and chunky mild salsa
1 teaspoon Mrs. Dash® onion herb seasoning
2 cups cooked rice
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup soft white bread crumbs
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Cut peppers in half from stem to bottom. Remove seeds. Parboil 4 minutes.
- In a large frying pan cook ground beef. Remove meat and reserve. Discard pan drippings.
- Sauté onion in 1 teaspoon margarine until translucent. Add salsa, Mrs. Dash® herb seasoning, cooked rice and meat. Stir to combine.
- Stuff green pepper halves with the meat and rice mixture, and place into a shallow baking dish. Add 1/2 cup water to the pan.
- Combine bread crumbs, poultry seasoning and melted margarine. Sprinkle over stuffed peppers.
- Cover and bake at 350 F for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 5 minutes until browned.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 259
- Protein 16 g
- Carbohydrates 20 g
- Fat 12 g
- Cholesterol 49 mg
- Sodium 152 mg
- Potassium 313 mg
- Phosphorus 132 mg
- Calcium 29 mg
- Fiber 2.0 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 2 meat
- 1 vegetable, medium potassium
- 1 starch
- 1 fat
- To reduce fat substitute 7% fat ground turkey for ground beef.
- For variety use red or orange bell peppers instead of green peppers.