Stuffed Zucchini a la Maryam
- CKD non-dialysis
1 stuffed zucchini
- 6 medium zucchini
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/3 cup short grain rice
- 1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint, finely chopped
- 1 cup onion, finely diced (divided use)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (divide use)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 ounces pork tenderloin cut in chunks
- 4 cups of water
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- fresh parsley and mint leaves, chopped to garnish
- Wash zucchini and remove ends. Hollow out center using an apple corer, leaving 1/2-inch shell. (Be careful not to pierce the walls or the end.) Do not core all the way through the opposite end. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine ground beef, rice, cilantro, parsley, mint, 1/2 cup onion, 1 clove garlic, salt, allspice and cinnamon. Blend well with hands.
- Stuff hollow zucchini with this mixture, leaving approximately 1/2-inch at the open end to give room to expand during cooking.
- Heat a large, deep covered pot on medium-high heat.
- Sauté remaining 1/2 cup onion in olive oil; add black pepper.
- Gently place stuffed zucchinis on top of onion, side-by-side. Add pork tenderloin and water.
- Cover and cook for approximately 40–45 minutes or until rice is tender.
- During the last 5–10 minutes of cooking add remaining 2 cloves of minced garlic and lemon juice. Garnish with parsley and mint before serving.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 206
- Protein 15 g
- Carbohydrates 14 g
- Fat 10 g
- Cholesterol 39 mg
- Sodium 144 mg
- Potassium 645 mg
- Phosphorus 185 mg
- Calcium 54 mg
- Fiber 2.4 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1/2 starch
- 2 vegetable, medium potassium
- Substitute 1/2-cup ground lean pork, lamb or chicken in place of ground beef.
- Make this recipe vegetarian by omitting all meat items.
- Yellow squash can be substituted for zucchini.
- Save time by chopping herbs in a food chopper.
- Remember to count as 2 vegetable servings. If you need a lower potassium dish reduce serving size to 1/2 zucchini.