Fabulous Hot Cocoa
- CKD non-dialysis
- 1 cup very hot water
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 3 tablespoons whipped dessert topping
- Heat one cup of water.
- While water heats, mix cocoa powder and sugar in a cup.
- Add cold water and mix to form a thin paste.
- Add hot water to cup. Stir to dissolve paste.
- Top with dessert topping.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 72
- Protein 1 g
- Carbohydrates 13 g
- Fat 3 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Sodium 10 mg
- Potassium 100 mg
- Phosphorus 49 mg
- Calcium 26 mg
- Fiber 1.8 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- A small amount of chocolate may be safely incorporated into a kidney diet.Consider daily intake, portion size, and your lab values for potassium and phosphorus.
- Use your favorite sweetener product such as Splenda® granular sweetener or stevia sweetener instead of sugar if desired to reduce calories to 60 and carbohydrate to 7 grams.
- Add whey protein powder if you need a high protein diet.