“An Apple a Day” Muffins
- CKD non-dialysis
- 12 muffin papers
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1-1/2 cups all purpose white flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1-1/2 cups raw apple, peeled and cut into small pieces
- Preheat oven to 400° F and place muffin papers in muffin pan.
- Beat eggs in a large bowl. Add sugar, oil and water; mix well. Add vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda and 1 teaspoon cinnamon.
- Stir flour mixture into egg mixture. Batter will be lumpy. Fold in apple pieces.
- Fill muffin cups 3/4 full. Mix remaining 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon with 1 teaspoon sugar. Sprinkle on top of muffins.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 162
- Protein 3 g
- Carbohydrates 15 g
- Fat 10 g
- Cholesterol 35 mg
- Sodium 117 mg
- Potassium 46 mg
- Phosphorus 34 mg
- Calcium 10 mg
- Fiber 0.8 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- Try freezing leftover muffins and reheating in the microwave for 30 to 60 seconds for a quick snack.
- Sugar can be replaced with Splenda® sugar-free sweetener. Be aware muffins will not rise as high and may cook 3 to 5 minutes faster than the recipe’s expected baking time.