Apple Zucchini Bread
- CKD non-dialysis
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar (divided use)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3-3/4 cups all-purpose white flour (divided use)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon (divided use)
- 1 cup Granny Smith apples, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups zucchini, shredded
- 2 tablespoons cold butter, unsalted
- Preheat oven to 350˚ F. Grease and flour two 9" x 5" loaf pans.
- In a large bowl, mix eggs, oil, granulated sugar, 3/4 cup brown sugar (or 6 tablespoons Splenda® Brown sugar blend) and vanilla.
- In a separate large bowl, mix baking soda, 3-1/2 cups flour, salt and 2 teaspoons cinnamon.
- Stir flour mixture into egg mixture. Do not over mix.
- Fold in apples and zucchini and pour mixture into loaf pans. Spread mixture evenly.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- While the bread is baking, prepare the crumb topping: combine the remaining 1/4 cup flour, 1/4 cup brown sugar (or 2 tablespoons Splenda® brown sugar blend), and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Cut in the butter until the mixture becomes very crumbly.
- Take the bread out of the oven once it has baked for 40 minutes and add the crumb topping.
- Bake for an additional 10 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean (from the center of the loaf).
- Cool for 10 minutes, then remove loaves from pans and transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
- Cut each loaf into eighteen 1/2" slices before serving.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 134
- Protein 2 g
- Carbohydrates 20 g
- Fat 5 g
- Cholesterol 25 mg
- Sodium 93 mg
- Potassium 53 mg
- Phosphorus 28 mg
- Calcium 13 mg
- Fiber 0.6 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- If using Splenda® sugar substitute in place of sugar, carbohydrate is decreased to 13 g per serving.
- If substituting Splenda® Brown sugar blend sweetener for brown sugar reduc to 8 tablespoons.
- Wrap one loaf in plastic wrap and place in a freezer bag to serve at a later time.
- For a lower fat version substitute 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce for the vegetable oil.