- CKD non-dialysis
- 2 cups masa
- 9 ounces water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Mix masa, water and salt in a bowl.
- Turn mixture onto a board and knead until a soft dough forms, adding more water as needed.
- Divide dough into 16 pieces, each about 1/2" wide and 1/2" thick. Place each piece of dough between two pieces of plastic to prevent sticking, and then flatten into a 5"-diameter tortilla using a rolling pin or a tortilla press.
- Lightly oil a very hot griddle and place one tortilla on it. Cook for about 30 seconds, then turn the tortilla and cook for another 30 seconds before removing from griddle. (It should be soft and easy to fold.) Repeat for each remaining tortilla.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 60
- Protein 1 g
- Carbohydrates 12 g
- Fat 1 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Sodium 68 mg
- Potassium 42 mg
- Phosphorus 32 mg
- Calcium 20 mg
- Fiber 1.3 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- Use a spatula to pick up the tortilla so you don’t get burned.
- Masa is corn flour made from ground hominy. It is used to make tortillas and tamales.
- Prepare enchiladas, tacos and quesadillas, or eat 1 to 2 tortillas with a meal.