Country Soda Biscuits
- CKD non-dialysis
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups all-purpose white flour, sifted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons shortening
- Preheat oven to 475° F.
- Stir baking soda into buttermilk.
- Combine flour and salt in a bowl. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Sprinkle buttermilk over flour mixture and stir until dry ingredients are moistened and dough is formed.
- Knead dough on a floured surface 6 times. Roll dough out to 1/2” thickness. Using a 2” biscuit cutter, cut out 12 biscuits.
- Bake on a greased baking sheet for 10 to 12 minutes, until browned.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 122
- Protein 3 g
- Carbohydrates 15 g
- Fat 5 g
- Cholesterol 1 mg
- Sodium 158 mg
- Potassium 41 mg
- Phosphorus 30 mg
- Calcium 21 mg
- Fiber 0.4 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- Biscuits leavened with baking soda and buttermilk are lower in phosphorus compared to baking powder biscuits.
- One biscuit served with 1/3-cup Country Gravy provides 198 mg sodium and 98 mg phosphorus. Be aware that portion size can make a difference in how much sodium and phosphorus are consumed.