Lemon Berry Bread
- CKD non-dialysis
1 loaf (10 slices)
1/10 of a loaf (one slice)
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon flour to coat loaf pan
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose white flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon extract
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 cup nonfat milk
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon rind
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Coat a 9” x 5” x 3” loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray and dust with flour.
- In a large bowl, combine flour and baking powder.
- In another bowl, mix oil, 2/3 cup sugar, extract and egg whites.
- Add flour mixture to oil and sugar mixture alternating with milk. Stir just until blended; do not overmix.
- Fold in blueberries and lemon rind.
- Pour batter into loaf pan and bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until toothpick once inserted comes out clean.
- Prepare glaze while bread is baking. In a small saucepan, combine remaining 1/3 cup sugar and lemon juice. Heat until sugar is dissolved.
- After removing bread from the oven, immediately poke holes at 1” intervals into the top and pour lemon glaze over bread.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 229
- Protein 3 g
- Carbohydrates 36 g
- Fat 8 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Sodium 78 mg
- Potassium 89 mg
- Phosphorus 41 mg
- Calcium 50 mg
- Fiber 0.8 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1/2 starch
- 1/1 fruit, low potassium
- 1 fat
- 1 high calorie
- People with diabetes can make one or more of the following changes:
- Omit lemon glaze and reduce portion to 1/2 slice
- Substitute Splenda® sugar substitute for sugar. Nutrient content changes to 154 calories and 17 grams carbohydrate per slice; other nutrients remain the same.
- Count as 1/2 starch, 1/2 fruit, low potassium, 1 fat and 1 carbohydrate choice.