- CKD non-dialysis
- 3 cups all-purpose white flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs, well beaten
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2-1/2 cups strawberries, finely chopped (fresh or no-sugar-added frozen, thawed and well drained
- Preheat oven to 350° F degrees.
- Mix flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt together in a large mixing bowl. Make a well.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs. Mix in canola oil. Add strawberries and stir well to combine ingredients.
- Pour liquid mixture into well of dry ingredients.
- Use a large spoon and mix by hand until well blended, but do not over mix.
- Pour into two ungreased 9" x 5" loaf pans.
- Bake 50 to 60 minutes.
- Cool on a rack for 15 minutes.
- Use a knife to loosen the sides of the bread from the loaf pans and remove gently. Finish cooling on a rack.
- Wrap bread in clear wrap or foil to help keep it fresh. Loaves can be refrigerated.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 254
- Protein 3 g
- Carbohydrates 33 g
- Fat 12 g
- Cholesterol 42 mg
- Sodium 157 mg
- Potassium 64 mg
- Phosphorus 39 mg
- Calcium 10 mg
- Fiber 0.8 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1 starch
- 1/2 fruit, low potassium
- 1/2 high calorie
- 2 fat
- Check if loaves are cooked through by inserting a toothpick down into the center. If it comes out clean, the loaf is done.
- Refrigeration keeps the berries fresher-tasting in the bread.
- For diabetics, substitute Splenda® Sugar Blend for Baking for sugar and low cholesterol egg product for eggs. 1 slice equals 206 calories, 23 grams carbohydrate, 11 grams fat and 0 mg cholesterol.
- 2-1/2 cups chopped strawberries is approximately 14 ounces.