- CKD non-dialysis
one 3/4″ slice
- 3 cups all-purpose white flour
- 3/4 cups sugar or Splenda granular sweetener
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325° F.
- Grease two 8-1/2″ x 4-1/2″ loaf pans.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda and salt.
- In medium bowl, beat eggs slightly. Stir in zucchini, honey, oil, applesauce, lemon juice and vanilla.
- Stir liquid mixture into flour mixture just until flour is moistened. Spread evenly in loaf pans.
- Bake 1 hour or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on wire racks for 10 minutes, then remove from pans.
- Cut each loaf into 12 slices.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 156
- Protein 3 g
- Carbohydrates 27 g
- Fat 4 g
- Cholesterol 35 mg
- Sodium 160 mg
- Potassium 70 mg
- Phosphorus 38 mg
- Calcium 10 mg
- Fiber 0.6 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1 starch
- 1/2 high calorie
- 1/2 fat
- Boost protein content to 4 grams by adding 7 tablespoons of your favorite protein powder to dry ingredients.
- If Splenda® is used instead of sugar, carbohydrate is decreased to 22 grams and 1-1/2 carbohydrate choices.
- Zucchini bread freezes well. Wrap in plastic wrap, then place in a freezer bag.
- If desired, use 2/3 cup applesauce and omit the oil, or use 2/3 cup oil and omit the applesauce.