Apple Cinnamon French Toast Strata
- CKD non-dialysis
1 - 3" x 3" square
- 1 pound loaf cinnamon raisin bread
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup apples
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 8 eggs
- 2-1/2 cups nondairy creamer
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup pancake syrup
- Dice bread and cream cheese into cubes. Peel and dice apple. Melt butter.
- Coat a 9" x 13" baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Arrange 1/2 of the cubed bread in the bottom of the dish. Sprinkle the cream cheese cubes evenly over the bread and top with the apples. Sprinkle cinnamon over the apples and top with remaining bread.
In a large bowl, beat the eggs with the nondairy creamer, melted butter and pancake syrup. Pour over the bread mixture. Cover with plastic wrap and press down so that all the pieces are soaked. Refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight
Preheat oven to 325° F.
Bake 50 minutes and let stand 10 minutes before serving. Cut evenly into squares for 12 servings.
Top with pancake syrup, sugar-free syrup, jam or cinnamon/raspberry applesauce, if desired.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 371
- Protein 9 g
- Carbohydrates 33 g
- Fat 22 g
- Cholesterol 200 mg
- Sodium 321 mg
- Potassium 178 mg
- Phosphorus 130 mg
- Calcium 22 mg
- Fiber 1.8 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1 meat
- 1 starch
- 1 fruit
- 2 fat
- Replace eggs with 2 cups low cholesterol egg product to reduce cholesterol to 37 mg per serving.
- Lower carbohydrate content by substituting sugar-free syrup if you have diabetes.
- Portions are generous—may be divided into smaller servings for a larger crowd.