Classic Eggs Benedict
- CKD non-dialysis
- 4 ounces Canadian bacon, sliced
- 3 cups water (divided use)
- 2 English muffins
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3 egg yolks
- dash of cayenne pepper
- dash of paprika
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- De-mineralize the Canadian bacon by placing in 2 cups of boiling water for 5 minutes.
Remove with slotted spoon and set on top of several paper towels to absorb the moisture. Slice English muffins in half and toast them.
Cut Canadian bacon in half and place on top of each toasted muffin half.
- Combine vinegar with approximately one cup water in a large skillet. Bring to a boil; reduce heat.
- Break eggs one at a time and slip into the water to poach the eggs. Cover and simmer for 3 to 5 minutes or until eggs are at desired doneness.
- Remove eggs with slotted spoon and place on top of bacon and English muffin; cover and keep warm.
- Melt butter.
- Beat egg yolks over very light heat.
- Quickly add in melted butter, paprika and cayenne pepper.
- Beat in lemon juice until thick.
- Remove from heat and pour on top of English muffins.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 416
- Protein 16 g
- Carbohydrates 14 g
- Fat 35 g
- Cholesterol 447 mg
- Sodium 346 mg
- Potassium 174 mg
- Phosphorus 214 mg
- Calcium 105 mg
- Fiber 1.05 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
De-mineralizing the Canadian bacon should remove up to 50% of the phosphorus and up to 80% of the sodium and potassium.
Garnish with fresh pineapple slices, strawberries and/or blueberries if desired.