Cran-Apple Oatmeal Plus Egg
- CKD non-dialysis
- 2 cup water
- 1 small apple, diced
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- dash of nutmeg
- 2/3 cup oatmeal, quick-cooking
- 2 eggs
- Combine water, diced apple or applesauce, cranberries, cinnamon and nutmeg in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer until apple is tender.
- Stir in oatmeal, bring to a boil, and cook 1 minute.
- Gradually add half of the oatmeal to a beaten egg. Add that mixture back to oatmeal and cook about 10 seconds.
- Serve with milk or milk substitute and sweetener, as meal plan permits.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 223
- Protein 10 g
- Carbohydrates 30 g
- Fat 7 g
- Cholesterol 212 mg
- Sodium 79 mg
- Potassium 230 mg
- Phosphorus 214 mg
- Calcium 55 mg
- Fiber 4.0 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1 meat
- 1 starch
- 1 fruit, medium potassium
- Egg may be added directly to oatmeal if desired.
- Avoid instant oatmeal because it is high in sodium.
- Oatmeal is a whole grain that contains more phosphorus than refined cereals usually recommended on the dialysis diet. Check with your dietitian to see if this recipe is appropriate for your individual diet.
- If desired substitute 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce for fresh apple.