French Toast with Cream Cheese and Applesauce Filling
- CKD non-dialysis
- 2 slices whole wheat bread
- 4 tablespoons egg whites liquid, divided
- 1 ounce cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- cinnamon to taste
- Preheat a non-stick skillet on medium-high heat.
- In a bowl, put 2 tablespoons of egg whites, and then add one slice of bread. Be sure to get egg only on one side of the bread. Let egg soak into bread.
- Place bread egg side down in skillet.
- Add cream cheese and applesauce to bread in the pan and sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Repeat step 2 with the other slice of bread and place it on top of the slice in the pan, egg side up
- When bottom of the first bread slice is browned, flip it over and brown the other side.
- Remove to plate and top with the syrup of your choice.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 276
- Protein 16 g
- Carbohydrates 26 g
- Fat 12 g
- Cholesterol 33 mg
- Sodium 466 mg
- Potassium 314 mg
- Phosphorus 158 mg
- Calcium 118 mg
- Fiber 5.4 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- One egg yolk contains 66 mg phosphorus. Angela recommends using only the egg white so you can use whole wheat bread to increase fiber and still keep phosphorus low. One slice of white bread contains 25 mg phosphorus; one slice whole wheat bread contains 57 mg phosphorus.