Hearty Breakfast Burritos with Pineapple Jalapeno Salsa
- CKD non-dialysis
- 2 cups fresh pineapple, cut into 1/2” cubes
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro coarsely chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup shitake or button mushrooms, sliced and chopped roughly
- 12 large eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup green onion, chopped
- pepper to taste
- 6 flour tortillas, 10” size
- Prepare salsa first by mixing together pineapple, cilantro, jalapenos, lime juice and brown sugar in a non-reactive bowl (glass, plastic or ceramic). Set aside.
In a nonstick skillet, heat oil and sauté green peppers and mushrooms over medium heat for 2 to 4 minutes.
- Drain off excess liquid.
- Pour beaten eggs over mixture in skillet and sprinkle the green onion evenly over eggs. As the eggs begin to set pull them across the skillet with a spatula, forming large curds.
- Continue cooking and folding eggs until no visible liquid egg remains.
- Season with pepper.
- Spoon egg mixture onto individual tortillas, divided evenly.
- Spoon 1/3 cup pineapple salsa onto each tortilla, fold ends, and roll up burrito-style.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 428
- Protein 20 g
- Carbohydrates 51 g
- Fat 16 g
- Cholesterol 423 mg
- Sodium 487 mg
- Potassium 388 mg
- Phosphorus 302 mg
- Calcium 97 mg
- Fiber 3.8 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 2 meat
- 2-1/2 starch
- 1 fruit, low potassium
- 1 vegetable, low potassium
- For hotter jalapeno flavor, leave seeds in. For less heat cut down to 1 pepper.
- Substitute fresh pineapple with canned pineapple tidbits or chunks.